Friday, March 5, 2010

mango melee

Last summer while visiting Renee and her homeland we went to the annual Mango Melee in celebration of this wondrous fruit. My love of the mango developed in Voi, where the Sisters plucked them off their trees and served them for dessert, and then my dear island roommate taught me how to properly peel and cut my own (Pick 'n' Save purchased) mahngoes (how Beth says it in Latin American hangover). Well, lucky for us, it is mango melee somewhere in this part of the world because the supermarket bins are bursting with them.

In the fall when we last had mangoes we attempted the oh-so-delectable Thai dessert of mango and sticky rice, but we never quite perfected it before winter settled in on the produce section. Now we have mangoes again, and between devouring them at every meal and snacktime, we've cooked up coconut sticky rice twice in the past week. Tonight, we perfected it, and let me tell you, it's a DIVINE trio. If you have the means, you must rush out to the nearest Thai restaurant and get some for yourself. Or buy your ticket, come over here, and I'll make it.

2 comments:

carrie said...

I am with you giiiirl! There are tons of mangos here too! I just peel 'em like a banana and dive in (we have the little yellow ones more commonly). Your Thai treat sounds amazing - I've been devouring coconut popsicles like it's my job and any combo with those flavors has got to be good! Missss you!

Jeff said...

A very interesting corner of the China-life that we did not get to experience. Sounds delicious! Can you bring some home, I can't quite stomach the thought of China right now.