Friday, August 27, 2010

EPL

Despite all hype and my affection for the story, I have not gone to see the Eat Pray Love movie, and from the few reviews I've heard and read so far, I don't think I'll go anytime soon. It seems the movie turns Elizabeth's quest for independence and self-actualization into an international manhunt, and if that is the case, I must ask the producers, "Did you even read the book??"* Twisting the story into yet another one of woman's-search-for-man-to-make-her-happy is an insult to the book's message, and probably Elizabeth Gilbert herself, not to mention, like, so totally 20th century.

So take that! I wasn't excited about you to begin with, Julia Roberts, and the eye candy visuals and lineup of crushes is not nearly as compelling as the introspection and insights the book offers. Bah humbug.

That's what I have to say about that.

*Please note that I have not seen the movie, which makes this a mostly uninformed opinion, which is the kind of opinion in fashion, right? If my inference is off base, please advise.

No comments: