Sunday, November 21, 2010

eid al-adha

Friday night UMKC hosted Saudi Arabia night to celebrate Eid al-Adha, the three-day "festival of sacrifice." The holiday honors Abraham and his faith & willingness to sacrifice his son (Muslims believe it was Ishmael that he brought up the mountain) and also marks the last day of the hajj (the pilgrimage to Mecca). Muslims sacrifice an animal on this day and give the meat to the poor. American Muslims usually send money to relatives abroad to contribute to purchasing the animal since you know, we don't really do animal sacrifices here.

Moh's friend tattooed me with what I'm told is a traditional Saudi design (I had the choice of Indian, tribal, Saudi, ... who knew henna had so many identities?) She also offered to come over for a touch-up in a few days if I want, and to arrange a cooking lesson sometime :D

No comments: