Friday, March 11, 2011

rollin' round the bend

Something I love about being home is the sound of the trains, which I notice usually at nighttime. I guess I've always loved trains, but I don't think that was a conscious love until I looked back through an old pre-teen journal and I had listed a bunch of things to do with my life, one being take a train across the country,"--which I kinda did coming back home from Bend. (Portland--Chicago--KC over three blissful days of rolling monotony and traveler's anonymity.)

Anyway, the continuous sounds of the trains in the night make me think of this that I read in an Anthony de Mello book:
When Brother Bruno was at prayer one night, he was disturbed by the croaking of a bullfrog.

All his attempts to disregard the sound were unsuccessful, so he shouted from his window, "Quiet! I'm at my prayers."

Now Brother Bruno was a saint, so his command was instantly obeyed. Every living creature held its voice so as to create a silence that would be favorable to prayer.

But now another sound intruded on Bruno's worship—an inner voice that said, "Maybe God is as pleased with the croaking of that frog as with the chanting of your psalms."

"What can please the ears of God in the croak of a frog?" was Bruno's scornful rejoinder.

But the voice refused to give up. "Why would you think God invented the sound?"

Bruno decided to find out why. He leaned out of his window and gave the order, "Sing!"


The bullfrog's measured croaking filled the air to the ludicrous accompaniment of all the frogs in the vicinity.

And as Bruno attended to the sound, their voices ceased to jar, for he discovered that, if he stopped resisting them, they actually enriched the silence of the night.

With that discovery Bruno's heart became harmonious with the universe, and, for the first time in his life, he understood what it means to pray.

And, on another note, also this...


and as the original poster of this video says, sorry for the sideways-ness. The sound quality is quite good though.

2 comments:

mdk said...

"Train From Kansas City"

Baby, baby, please believe me
I would never never do anything to hurt you
Baby, baby, please believe me
I would never never do anything to you to make you blue
But yesterday I got this letter
From the boy I loved before I ever knew you
Before I even knew you

And the train from Kansas city is coming into town.
The train from Kansas city is a-coming
And there's nothing I can do can make it turn around.

Baby, baby, please believe me
Nothing in this world would tear us apart
We'll never, never part
So wait right here and I will hurry
I'll be back in the time it takes to break a heart
I gotta break his heart

'Cause the train from Kansas city is coming into town
The train from Kansas city is a-coming
And there's nothing I can do can make it turn around

No, I never answered his letter
I just couldn't tell him that way
No, I never answered his letter
I just didn't know what to say
Now I'm going down to the station
I'll be there at ten after two
I'll show him the ring on my finger
I don't what else I can do

The train from Kansas city is coming into town
The train from Kansas city is a-coming
And there's nothing I can do can make it turn around

Here comes the train

mdk said...

Kansas City is one of the busiest rail centers in the country. Only Chicago may have more traffic and tonnage. Quite a treat to stand near a rail yard and FEEL the deep boom of switching cars. Or to hear the faraway toot-drone of the air horn. Or the background low hum of wheels on rails. Nation building.